Here in Tauranga, The Elms Mission House is one of the oldest historic buildings in the country. Completed in 1847, this is one of the finest examples of Georgian Architecture in the southern hemisphere. If you find yourself visiting Tauranga and would like a slice of history, take a walk through the historic Elms Mission Station.
This traditional English house was built for Reverend Alfred Nesbit Brown, who came to New Zealand with his first wife Charlotte in 1829 as a missionary for the Church Missionary Society of England.
From here, Maori were given the opportunity to learn about Christianity, and were educated in reading and writing, as well as agricultural and domestic skills.
The Elms having being restored, the building is in original condition except for the roof, which was originally shingled but is now clad in corrugated iron.
The Elms Mission House grounds are open daily, free of charge. As well as the beautiful gardens. Volunteer guides open the house and library to visitors from 9 am to 4 pm daily. There is a small entry fee of $5.00.